Monday, November 14, 2011

14. Humbling Reminders

Today marked another step in the changing of the seasons process: I'm getting sick. Awesome.

Kids have been sulking in with colds for a while, but I've successfully avoided catching anything until now. With our first Club Choir performance just 4 days away, I have fully embraced my inner 14-year-old boy. The kids think it's hilarious, but trying to corral and instruct anywhere from 15 to 50 kids with a weak, crackly voice isn't the most pleasant of experiences. It has however, reminded me of a few things for which I am very grateful: being humbled is a good thing and my husband rocks at taking care of me.

My dear friend Krystal had the chance to visit me at Club a few months ago, and she laughed at the big voice I use with the kids which is a relatively significant shift from my typical tone. The big voice, the one I have thanks to two big brothers and years of lifeguarding experience, has helped me do my job effectively. Today, however, my throat felt like it was being pricked by nails whenever I spoke over a low speaking voice. I was quite humbled to not have the ability to speak over a small group of kids, let alone a crowd. Though I would normally handle certain situations by myself, today I had to lean on other staff members and some of the older kids to help me get my job done. I feel like I've learned this lesson a hundred times, but I again realized the blessing of working with others instead of doing life alone. I especially loved watching my fifth graders step up into leadership!

When I got home, my voice told of the beating it took during the day. Though my mom thinks it sounds a bit sultry, the mid-word cracks kind of ruin that effect. ;-) Nate blessed me by having tea, soup and jello ready to go! He has a beautiful servant's heart, and I'm so thankful for the way he blesses me.

Did you have any humble reminders today? What are you thankful for?

Today's blessings:

  • Being silenced in order to see others' growth
  • My kids' energy
  • Being able to laugh at myself
  • Soothing hot tea and cold jello
  • Tomato soup and grilled cheese

1 comment:

  1. I am humbly blessed by having a sister who was willing to have a genetic test so that I could have the choice of having surgeries that could potentially save me from cancer.

    ReplyDelete