Saturday, November 12, 2011

12. Music

To those of you who normally tune-in to read my lovely wife's wonderfully crafted posts, you'll have to wait until tomorrow. I (Nate) will be writing tonight.

While music is not either of our number one hobby, Anne and I both find a lot of enjoyment in making and listening to music. It's amazing how music can add so much to something that would be otherwise ordinary. It can turn a play into a musical, help you remember an advertiser's product, add tradition to athletics, and emotion to words.

I dabble with acoustic guitar, and I normally enjoy taking time out of my day to try to play and learn new things and simply enjoy the music. Over the past month or so, however, we've been in a very busy stretch of life, so I haven't been able to play as much as usual. Today Anne was away for a few hours, so I took advantage of the alone time to prepare for our church's Celebration of Thanks tomorrow night. As I was playing, I came to the realization of how much I've been playing only to prepare for an event on Sunday and not enjoying it as a time of personal worship. I'm grateful to have been reminded this afternoon about the beauty and power of this medium that God has created for our enjoyment and His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment