Friday, November 5, 2010

A Test in Perseverance and Gratitude

On the first of November, I had a facebook friend suggest that we post something we are thankful for everyday in November until Thanksgiving. I love the concept, but I thought this may be the better venue. As it is already November 5, I'll start with 5 today and will do my best to post daily until Thanksgiving Day! If there are any of you reading out there, please feel free to write things you are thankful for in the comment section.

1. Autumn
Football. Apple Cider. Sweatshirts and jeans. Changing leaves. Seeing deer in the fields. God was gracious in providing this beautiful transition into winter, and it seems this fall has been especially pleasant.


2. Ice Cream
Nate and I are currently eating a bowl as we brainstorm. I don't think I need to explain why this made the list. :-)

3. Heat
in all it's forms...furnaces, warm showers, fireplaces, automatic car starters, etc. (Yes, this Dutch household has turned on the heat. My husband loves me!) We realize more and more how grateful we are for warmth as it becomes an outdoor scarcity.

4. Friends Who Have Been There
Nate and I have been blessed by many deep friendships. Some live further away and some are at different points in their lives, but we are thankful for the way we are able to stay connected. These men and women know how to love in a way that spans distance and differences and have seen us through laughter, tears, and growth.


5. Friends Who Are Here Now
A woman I greatly admire once told me that while college friendships seem irreplaceable, God brings people into your life for whatever season you are living. We have most definitely seen this to be true as we leave Northwestern. These relationships may be fresh, but we are thankful to have new friends with whom to walk.



"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live
your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith
as you
were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."

Colossians 2:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment