Monday, November 22, 2010

22. Water

I was drinking a glass of water the other day when I realized how blessed I am to be holding this glass of clean, clear, treated and filtered drinking water. I'm fortunate enough to live in a community where water is only a few steps and twist of a knob away from hitting my lips almost anywhere I go, and I'm guessing since you're reading this, you probably are, too.

I did a few minutes of research and found according to thewaterproject.org, about one billion people on the planet don't have the convenience of clean, safe drinking water. This lacking necessity causes many problems such as fatal health complications and violent actions over the scarce water supply. Poverty-stricken areas around the globe cope with this daily, yet I've noticed it can be such an afterthought for me.

So eat your turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Really, do! We know that every good and perfect gift is from above, and we should enjoy what we're given by God. But when you take a drink of that glass of water (milk, lemonade, cider, etc.) take a moment to reflect about what you've been given, and how that affects the way you live.

For more information on clean water organizations and ways you can get involved, check out The Water Project or Living Water International.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am so thankful for clean and readily available water! I acknowledge this blessing nearly every time I step into the hot shower or take a cold drink. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete