Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Contrasts

Today was an exercise in contrasts. I woke up to an email announcing a friend's mother had come to the end of her very long battle with cancer. And I grieved. And I rejoiced.

Today I watched the snow fall out the window while I talked to my mom who was seeing sunshine. Her tears let me know my aunt had also come the end of her long battle with cancer. And I grieved. And I rejoiced.


I think of these two women from different parts of the country, how long and how valiantly they fought. I think of how this day was ordained and how their families are grieving but they are now rejoicing together. 

My heart aches and tears fall and I get angry at cancer and the hurt in the world. Yet I long for and know fully that Revelation 21 is coming.


In the midst of all the chaos, today's contrasts made me stop. The office buzzed. Emails popped up. Laughter rose from the cubicles. But my little area just stopped for the day. And forced me to look at other contrasts.

More living, less rushing.

More serving, less selfishness.

More soaking in the slow moments, less taking for granted.

More reaching out, less isolation.

More vulnerability, less facade-building.


So perhaps this post isn't as put together as others. But it's me admitting today was rough and being ok with that.

The grief mingles with the joy, and more mingles with less. And somewhere is the mess of it all, I'm finding just a bit of peace, comfort, and resolve to make these words move.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 
Revelation 21:1-5

Linking up here today. Join us?

3 comments:

  1. No Anne, this post is perfectly put together. Thank you for sharing your heart with others.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had similar thoughts to Laura as I read your post!
    It is perfectly put together! :)
    Thanks for reminding us to look at contrasts as it helps me to understand things better :)

    xoxo
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear sister, your contrasts penetrates the heart...what really matters...? Thank you for once again sharing your heart and allowing the Lord to use you mightily!
    Praying for you! Continue to relish in His promises- Radaph!

    ReplyDelete