Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Simple Phrase


Two years ago Nate asked me to marry him. I remember the warm August night, the way we were cuddled together looking up at a perfectly clear sky. I remember laughing and flirting, reveling in simply being together. I remember feeling my heart rate spike when I finally understood what was happening, and yes, I remember the words he spoke to me. Yet there is one phrase I cherish over all the rest: the phrase that I had seen in his eyes, felt in his embrace, heard only through the silent squeeze of our clasped hands. He told me, "I love you, Anne."

A simple phrase that changed my world.

We have since learned a much deeper meaning of this simple phrase, and I know we have only begun to scratch the surface. No matter what type of circumstances come our way, Nate's love for me points me to the love of our Father. That has made all the difference. At times it is so difficult to actually believe that God loves and tenderly cares for me, but it is in those times of doubt and frustration that God uses Nate to remind me of Love. And I return to a warm, summer night, embraced by the arms that placed the stars in the sky above me. Though I know my Father, my Savior has told me many times before, He holds me close and says for what feels like the first time, "I love you, Anne."

A simple phrase that changes my world.

"For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
abounding in steadfast
love to all who call upon you."
Psalm 86:5 (ESV)

1 comment:

  1. Anne,

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog today. It's good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete